Pages

Monday 25 February 2013

Windy Wellington - Not a real summer!

I have just moved back down to Wellington to start back at uni all over again. After living in Auckland all summer with lovely 25-26 degree heat, I got an unwelcome shock when stepping off the plane in shorts and a singlet into a Southerly 15 degree wind.... The next day I reluctantly agreed that I would have to dig out my non-summer clothes! I didn't even get a chance to wear my inbetween clothes that are summery but too hot for Auckland summer and too cold for Wellington! And now I'm in Wellington, the flat I'm in doesn't get much sun at all so its even colder!

Before I moved into the flat I stayed with my Mum at a hotel in the City. This was my Wellington (supposedly summer) outfit....
I actually had another cardigan on underneath the blazer as well!

This outfit has a mixture of nicer and cheaper things but I think it still comes off looking classier than its price tag. I am wearing...
  • A plain cheap, $5 white tshirt which I picked because it ran it quite a small size and a stretchy fabric. But it still does the job. The only downfall is that it is a little see-through, so you have to wear a singlet underneath. However, I tend to do that with most clothes anyway so it doesn't really bother me.
  • The scarf is 100% silk, and from a Hospice shop (op-shop) for $4! The design on the scarf is quite nautical and seems of a similar style/pattern some designer scarves I have seen around. It also has quite a few colours on it so it can be quite versatile, working with blues, white and black.
  •  I found the blazer the other day while looking in Kmart for high neck/boat neck tshirts, after having exhausted every other shop in the mall. I decided to look in the children's section as I assumed that children's clothes would have higher necklines. However, they didn't have any either. The blazer is quite a cheap polyester/knit material, but the sizing in the children's was perfect. I ended up buying a size 10 girls as the sleeves on the 12 were too long. All in all, I got a good fitting blazer (which are quite hard to find!) for $17! Student prices! 
  • The jeans are by Huffer. They were from an outlet store (Dressmart in Onehunga, Auckland, it really is an amazing place to get good deals) and were $80. However, I got them as a gift from Mummy for Christmas so that is even better!
  • The shoes are by Australian brand Novo. They were $60, but are leather and have rubber soles. I like them because I like to have the front of the ballet flat come up a little higher on the foot, otherwise they are very hard to walk in and just plain uncomfortable. I wore these around the streets of Wellington and they were fine! For those of you who don't know Wellington, it is a seriously hilly place! Heels do not fare well here! (Although it doesn't stop me wishing I could wear them everywhere!)
On another note, I am looking for a more 'cost effective' version of the LK Bennett 'Sledge' shoe in nude. I would like them to have a low platform to add extra height and also lessen the impact of the heel. But not too chunk otherwise they loose some classiness I feel. However, I can't afford to pay $350 for shoes! I don't mind investing a little if they are a very versatile and comfortable shoe. I have also heard of the Ann Taylor Perfects - does anyone have a pair and want to give a review?


No comments:

Post a Comment