Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

Nicola's Birthday - DIY T-Shirt x2

Recently it was one of my close friends birthday, and as I have been on a bit of a tshirt-embellishing craze recently, I thought I would post the DIY tshirts I gave to her for her birthday. One was a simple design that just involved buying trim and then half machine/half hand stitching it on. The other was an idea I saw on the internet...  Here... however I used a slightly different process. Both were initially plain tshirts.

These were the finished products:



This is the back view. The doily actually has the centre cut
out so you can see a subtle hint of skin underneath. 
On the birthday girl!



I hand sewed the trim around the neckline and the doily on this shirt, but if you are crafty with a sewing machine then that would work well too. I initially stuck the doily where I wanted it with some iron-on hemming tape, which basically is has a light adhesive on both sides when heat is applied, which meant the doily stayed in place whilst I was sewing it. I then cut the tshirt around the part of doily that I wanted cut out, leaving about 1.5cm of fabric from where I had stitched in case the fabric frayed.

Both these shirts were $5 each from The Warehouse on sale (normally 10), and were fairly good quality for the price. I bought the doily from a local hospice shop (like a thrift/secondhand store), and overall these nice gifts cost just over $20 for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment