Pages

Saturday 20 April 2013

Founder's Day Brunch


The other weekend I had the pleasure of going to our Founder's Day Brunch. Basically, it's a brunch that commemorates the day the hall I'm living in was first opened.

But... I feel the reason most people go is because you get free hotel brunch! It was held at the James Cook Hotel, and everything was very nice. Especially after having not eaten out at all since I moved back down here! There was all your typical brunch foods, buffet style.... I was so so so full afterwards!

I  had expected other people from my flat to come, but they all dropped out at the last minute. It almost made me not go because I really didn't want to go not knowing anyone. But, when I got there, everyone was super friendly and I met a new group of friends.


I LOVE Gossip Girl. So when I saw this dress at General Issue (sells brands like Hollister, Abercrombie and now, GAP), I fell in love! Especially with the sleeves! 

I have discovered however, that GAP clothes are pretty large! This dress is actually a GAP girls XL (12). It was very cute, and made out of a soft knit/jersey material that makes it more snuggly for winter. 
The only thing with buying children's clothes is that they aren't particularly designed for a more womanly shape. The high neckline with a little bow (it's underneath my hair in this picture) also tends to make it a little more childish. To solve the issue of shape, I got my lovely Mum to overlock down the sides, creating more of an indent where my waist is. So it's a lot better now. 

I wasn't sure what to do with the bow. For the moment I have just left it, because I don't want to remove it and ruin the fabric. However, it makes the dress look funny with scarves/necklaces. So perhaps that will be something to do for future wears. 

To add a pop of colour against the black dress, shoes and blazer, I wore it with the burgundy tights that have been a recent purchase. They are very versatile and really make this outfit a lot more interesting. 

I also deliberated about the choice of shoes. I had NO idea how formal/causal the function was meant to be, so I didn't want to turn up in sky-high (but tasteful, of course) shoes and everyone else was wearing jandals! So I settled on these Suede/leather Isabela Anselmi shoes (size 5) from Overland. They have a very small heel (5cm) and so give the illusion of a slightly heightened ballet flat, which I thought was quite nice and not too overdone. 

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment