Pages

Saturday 18 May 2013

Clothes swap!

Yesterday my flatmate convinced me to go to a women's clothes swap night! It ended up being a very good evening. The whole night was free, and included food, drinks, and pizza made by the guys! I was a bit dubious as I wasn't sure I would find anything to fit. But, it seems that people seem to be giving away all the things they no longer fit!

I found five items that all seem like quite good quality, and in very good condition (one thing even has the tag still on it!).



Two of the items are very summery (the singlet and playsuit) but still worth keeping (especially for free!) The playsuit is from Armani Exchange, and the other girls were very jealous that they hadn't seen it! The skirt was something I loved when I saw it, but realised it was about 2 sizes too big. But when it was still left unchosen at the end of the night, I decided to take it home and alter it. The fabric was nice and it was lined as well. It was already quite a full skirt, and quite short on me, considering it was meant for someone wide (and presumably taller) than myself. When I tried it on, there was no hope of it staying on my hips! But it was easy enough  to take in just by using pleats.

I pinned it on myself, and made 4 pleats around the skirt (2 at the back, and 2 at the front). I ended up taking out about... 16cm from the waistline. The alterations adds to the fullness of the skirt, and the previous fullness disguises the alteration. It took me about an hour to do (hand-sewing, and I also spent about 15 mins losing my needle), and here is the finished product!
This photo also features another addition - a super soft knit sweater! 

Although I knew this would be an easy alteration to do, I'm presuming it wouldn't be as easy, or look as nice on a pencil or bell-shaped skirt. 

So.. For future reference, I will definitely be on the look out for more clothes-swapping opportunities! The fact that I could get 5 new pieces, without it affecting my bank account at all seems pretty amazing! Thank you to whoever donated these lovely pieces for me to pick up!

No comments:

Post a Comment